Monday, October 19, 2009

Independence Day

Let me pen down before the writer inside me dies without salvation ......

Add Image To Hollywood movie buffs the title may seem familiar but this article is neither about the Will Smith's 1996 flick nor is it about United States of America. Rather it is all about 15th August, the Independence day of my beloved country India (Mera Bharat Mahaan, Kajol's favorite dialogue in K3G). How various incidents within 24 hours can shake someone’s patriotic emotions, is the essence of this column.

It was a Friday evening, the day before Independence Day and I was stuck in the busy Hyderabad traffic at Jubilee check-post on my way to a friend's house. Some casual thoughts were flashing through my mind “This time Independence Day has somehow fallen on a Saturday again & I have lost another sure-shot holiday." I am sure this must have definitely been in the minds of all 5 days office a week MNC cultured folks where as all the 6 days office a week people must have enjoyed this extra holiday in the weekend. But none between the two classes is least bothered to celebrate the Independence Day. Actually 15th August has become another holiday in the diaries of Indian people except the so called politicians in white khadis. They are indeed the busiest people on this auspicious day as they have got the official right to hoist the tricolor national flag. Amid these wild thoughts my attention got diverted towards a kid when he touched my hand. He was a small boy may be around 7-8 years old (a typical traffic signal brand) and was selling the tiny plastic tricolor flags. "Take some 10 flags sir and I will give you a good discount" uttered the seller with a great enthusiasm. My inquisitive mind casually asked him "What are these flags for? Is there anything special tomorrow?". His gloomy stare with a smile on his face depicted more of his curiosity than ignorance. As the signal turns green and traffic moved forward but my eyes were still fixed at those innocent eyes that had lots of unanswered questions. Couple of horns from the back and I was forced to drive ahead. There was only one question in my mind “Will the kid ever know the significance of tomorrow”?

When the clock stroke one I woke up from my dreams and only then I realized that I have missed another flag hoisting ceremony of my life. I can't even recollect when was it last time I attended a flag hoisting ceremony or watched the live telecast of PM addressing the nation from Red fort. Actually I am not the only sinner of this brand in fact majority of my generation endorse the same brand. Sometimes it looks to me like my generation has already lost its interest in this auspicious day. Whom to blame? But are we solely responsible for this apathy? - These are really debatable questions. But if I reflect back into my childhood memories, 15th August used to be one of the busiest days in my school life. As a Boys' Scout commander I have led my troop in various parades & saluted the tricolor in uniform with the most patriotic spirit. But every time the long somnolent speech after the national anthem sounded the same even though time, place & speaker changed. Never ever I have heard a speech, which is spoken from heart; which can inspire people; which can recite the true significance of our Independence day. In Russia it is a custom for newly wedded couple to visit a military park on their wedding day to pay homage to the war heroes because of whose sacrifices they have been able to live peacefully where as Indians like me don't even bother to wake up early on a weekend to attend the flag hoisting ceremony of the Independence day.

It was around four in the evening and I was at a barber shop. While the barber was busy shaving me I was struggling to watch one of my favorite bollywood flicks "K3G", which was being played on the TV, in the multiple reflections of the mirrors. When the scene where the British students sing the Indian national anthem came the barber asked me to stand immediately. Half-shaved I, when stood up hastily, felt the same sense of pride in listening to the anthem as I used to feel in my childhood. Standing at the cross-roads of torn patriotism I was really amazed at the patriotism of this barber who not only respects his national anthem but also makes people like me realize the same.

The same evening I was at a dinner party with my friends. These days we need some excuses or other to go for a treat on someone else's money. The giant screen at the restaurant was playing some patriotic videos. There were kebabs & cocktails almost on every table. There were laughs & jokes coming out from some table every now & then. Something happened I didn't know what but I stood up instantly. Before I realized what had propelled me to do so I saw the tricolor flag waving on the giant screen & heard the national anthem being played. Lost in the melody of the anthem for few seconds when I looked around there was a deadly silence on the entire floor. The waiters froze for a while when everyone on the floor was giving standing obsession to the national flag & the national anthem. It was then I realized "This is my real India". We might have dozens of languages spoken with their various dialects in different parts of the country, we might believe in different Gods from different religions, we might hate each other viz. Hindus vs. Muslims, metro vs. rural or even four-wheelers vs. auto-rickshaws, still the country prospers, still India has the second largest growing economy. What is that hidden force that drives us among all these diversities. I understood that it is this patriotic feeling of being an Indian which unites us, propels us which is in the form of curiosity in the eyes of the 7 years old kid, I met yesterday, to know what is the tricolor meant for; which is in the form of enthusiasm in the voice of the barber that makes others show respect to the national anthem ; which is in the heart of sinner branded Indians like me who still love their country India (Mera Bharat Mahaan) even though they are pretty much influenced by the western effects.

There I could hear my heart pounding with every beats of

"Jaya-he .... Jaya-he.... Jaya-he.....
Jaya Jaya Jaya Jaya-he .........".

7 comments:

  1. quite worth to read, more worthful to contribute ..............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one!
    Specifically,
    Good Narration..
    I like the way the simple things like below were described-
    "I was struggling to watch one of my favorite bollywood flicks "K3G", which was being played on the TV, in the multiple reflections of the mirrors. "

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really an insight of minds of new generation which is often blamed to be indifferent on importance of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rahul.

    I liked reading the blog. I do differ with you when it comes to the last paragraph of your blog but i liked your narration style and the way you made me visualize your ambience(you trying to catch the glimpes through multiple mirrors etc).

    keep it up !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, sincere apologies for the could-have-been-avoided delay.

    Disclaimer (especially for the Critics) : The commentator is not to be blamed if this comment looks like
    another blog. The reason being...

    This blog is special in two ways. First it deals with THE COUNTRY closest to my heart :INDIA and second it has been penned by THE CLOSEST friend 'Rahul'. This means anything and everything about the review of this blog must/will be from the deepest corners.

    .......................................
    "15th Aug has become just another holiday", my friend said to me once.
    'Freedom of Speech', I would call it.
    But what he and perhaps many others fail to realise is that, this freedom hasn't been awarded as a Holiday which an Individual DEMANDS after six continuous working days, but in honour to those who refused to take any leave until they handed over the 'Traders (East India Company) of this country' their well deserved PINK SLIP”

    The World hasn’t forgotten their act. Neither Should We...The People of India...”
    ...............................................
    Read it somewhere ? Certainly, if you have happened to visit my blog http://bnr-films.blgspot.com (Hope Rahul doesn’t take it as my publicity stunt ;) ) or if you happen to be in my sms-friends list. Like every 15 Aug or 26th Jan, that was the message writen and circulated by on this years independence day. And now, you will agree that at it’s first look, Rahul’s blog seemed as a continuation or detailed narration or his take on the topic.

    The coincidence is no surprise though ! As often we share the same feelings and views when they are about movies and/or our nation and/or a seemingly extinct concept called ‘Patriotism’.

    But then, that was the reason for which the expectation levels from the article went too high.

    There can be two reasons behind posting a blog. One : you wanted to pen down one of your mind blowing or nerve racking experience so as to share it with others. Secondly , you wanted to write an article for which you decided the topic and drew examples and inspirations from various happenings or incidents. Fortunately or unfortunately, both are recognisable. Rahul’s blog falls in the second category. And the same is easily identifiable because of the last paragraph where all of a sudden he gets convinced that “it is this patriotic feeling of being an Indian which unites us”. Later , when I ask Rahul about the Truth, he generously confirms that it indeed was meant for the second type.

    Being said that, another question ‘pings’ in my mind : “How many people will even think of writing such topics let alone analysing or posting it in a magazine/blog” ? For that, this work is nothing less than a treasure.

    (Finally) coming to the topic : Whether 15th Aug is just another holiday to relax or it’s a TRUE INDEPENDECE DAY actually depends upon the way we celebrate it. Of course with the prevailing modern-is-western style of living among the youth belonging to IT , BPO or Manufacturing sector (or in that matter PSU or Pvt) , many forms of celebrations can be seen with each passing 15th , the day we so proudly and fondly referred as 'Swatantrata Diwas' in our childhood...Ranging from simply lazing at home to Independence Day Discounted Shopping to Independence Day DJ Nite. But for-a-change ask THE OTHER ENTITIES like the youths working in various NGOs, NPOs, Voluntary Organisations, some Real-And-Rare CSR Teams apart from the ‘Jawans’ in Defence field what THE DAY means to them and perhaps it wont take you too long to BELIEVE that for some it’s the day which brings them the purpose of living. Come whatever may, they wont let off a 15th without saluting (or themselves hoisting) that flag made of my favourite colour… THE TRICOLOR

    What more can I say about this debate which has gone into being the theme/central subject of my next release ?

    Vande Mataram !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job Rahul. The topic is serious and very close to our hearts. I really liked your way of writing. I totally agree with you that our own 'Bharat' is still alive in the hearts of every Indian, even though it is called as 'India' now.

    Jai Hind,
    Arpit

    ReplyDelete